Monday, March 6, 2017

First update

Why is this called mgsfight?

Definition of warrior: a brave or experienced soldier or fighter.
My definition: a person that has been in the military (soldier) or a person with cancer (fighter).
I have never been in the military.  But, I am now a warrior.  :-(  I am not sure how else to put it.
When I was approaching 30, I had a freak cancer in my abdomen that came on, I was put in the hospital for exploratory surgery, the Surgeon got it all out while I took a nap on the OR table.  Not much of a warrior for me.  I was happy to move along with life.  My oldest daughter wanted me to sign up to be  "survivor" for relay for life and get the special t-shirt. I honestly felt guilty about that since there was no "fight" needed on my end.  Especially when you see and hear stories of others that have truly fought for their life.
Now, I hope to get that damned special shirt.

In a nutshell, I am lucky.  Lucky that I had back pain due to a big snow storm.  I went in for a simple x-ray.  The Dr said I was getting older and had osteoarthritis in my back.  With more sever back pain, I went in for an MRI.  That is when they found a tumor in my spine.  I went in for another MRI for more analysis and to confirm.  I had an appointment with a great neurosurgeon that also specializes in oncology.  He said that the type of "c" (I dont really like to say the c word yet) is very rare.  That is a good thing because the surgeon is very interested in it.  For example, one website says that the chances of getting this is 1 in a million.  I should go buy a lottery ticket I guess.  He thinks it is one of two types of C.  One if fast growing and one is not.  I think both are a brain cancer that when found in kids, is in the skull, when found in adults, it is more typically found in the spine.  They cant determine exactly which one is it until he removes it and sends it to the Mayo Clinic.  Recovery is still up in the air.  I believe I will have more MRI's in the future to see, is it all gone, is it growing again, is it totally gone....  What life will be after surgery is all a mystery.  The Dr said he hopes my stay at the hospital will be 2 days and I will be released.  Will I go to a rehab facility?  Will I be able to come home?  

I have spent a lot of time thinking of how to tell people.  Some people are "easier" that others.  Easy being relative.  Of course family was tough to tell but obviously necessary.  Close friends was tough as well.  One thing I feel badly about is people that I have "missed".  Let me apologize to them right now.  However, it is tough to pick up the phone, or text or email and ask how their weekend was, oh, PS, "I have brain cancer.  Hopefully I can walk after the surgery."  There isn't really a comeback to that.

I do want to thank the best friends in the world though.  You are already helping.  Be it just talking or offering to share this news with others that I cant seem to find the words for.  You know who you are.  

Unlike most roller coasters, this is not fun.  It is fucking scary.  With that, I am signing off for now.  
I am still trying to process this so please be patient with me if I dont answer or dont want to talk, or if the opposite is true.  I am not sure what is around the next curve.

Love to all.


PS, just as I type this and am getting emotional, my son sends me a picture of chocolates from Hawaii, named "Donkey Balls".  Perfect timing!

1 comment:

  1. Mike you can beat this! You, Lori, and the kids will be in our thoughts and prayers!

    ReplyDelete