Thursday, April 27, 2017

One week post opp

Good morning. A week. Good grief. That sounds so long. 

This has definitely been a series of ups and downs. 

I believe I have said this before, but I will power though this. 

When the DR was going through his list of what could go wrong, I figured out that my mind had made two columns. Probable and not probable. 

In the not probable column are the extreme things. Like death. Yes, there was a micro chance that something crazy happened and I died. I had also put any type of paralysis lasting longer than 3-5 days in the non probable list. 
To be honest, my left leg is not behaving at all like I had expected. On days 1-3 is was a burning pain that I had never felt before. That pain is all gone now. I guess pain is good though as that means feeling right?  Not really. 

Another hurdle that I have in here is pure mental. What I mean by that is 8 days ago, I had a dream life in every sense of the meaning. Now, I have to have visitors. I need to hit a button to get assistance to go to the bathroom....  I don't mean that in an absolute negative way, just a wild switch in my life. 

Another mental issues is sleep or rather lack of sleep.  I have neighbors on both sides of my room and suffice it to say, I am much better off than they are. The nurses gave me ear plugs last night and timed their visits with me so I got as much rest as possible.   What a diff a few solid hours of sleep makes!

I have big learning curve coming up for me. It will be a moving target as I get more and more feeling back. 
My targets are:  get out of this room in the neuro ward. Target date is tomorrow. From here, I would do to rebound rehab. That is still on the hospital property but technically, it would be discharged from the hospital. 
The timeline at rebound is pretty big. Anywhere from 1-3 weeks there. 

While in recovery, there will be 3 hrs per day of physically and occupational therapy.   Another bonus of being in rehab is they don't check on you as much so you have a little more private time. I might have a room mate also. That might be fun. NOT.

I believe there will be a lot of evaluation while in rehab. How I am doing?  What needs work?  How is our house set up?  Can I practice anything here that might be a challenge at home?  What brace(s) will work for me. It sounds like a lot of measuring and fitting g for those. So much that they are normally ready just time to go home. 
On a side note, I think a therapy or guide dog should be given to me!!!!!  Back to reality now. 


I know this was a choppy update. I had some charger issues and several nurse visits. 

Take care all. Give your loved ones an extra hug today. Then give them a mysterious grin. Make them wonder what your up to. 

Love to all. 


No comments:

Post a Comment