Tuesday, April 18, 2017

What is a marker?

I have been asked several times what the marker is.  Contrary to popular belief, it is not an RFID chip like what they put in dogs at the humane society to return them to their rightful owners.  :-)  It is also NOT like a wireless fence for dogs.  Although both are good ideas, that is not what my marker is.  Even though it is in the same spot as in pets.
The marker is something the neurosurgeon uses as a tool to know where the tumor is.  I don't know all of the ins and outs of it.  He said when they first start cutting, all of the vertebrae look the same.  Having the marker in there, gives him a reference point. 

Yesterday, I asked the Dr that was inserting the marker what it was made out of.  He said it was either stainless steel or gold.  He said that he had never been asked that before.  I thought that was odd. 

I think that as the neurosurgeon finishes up removing the tumor that he will also remove the marker while he is in there.

I had sent out an email yesterday regarding Lori sending out a mass email.  I have since learned that for whatever reason, I don't have that group in my phone.  I will ask her to send out a very brief email to a very small group of people.  This is not to hide anything.  She will have her hands full with a cranky husband and a couple of toddlers at home so she will be busy also.
I will post an update on here as soon as I can.  Hopefully Friday sometime.

Thanks again for all of the good vibes.  I am ready to get this damn thing out of me.

1 comment: